Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Banana Bread

This is a recipe that Linda Armstrong Kelly included in her book No Mountain High Enough. She described making loaves of this and handing it to Lance as he was biking. I had some old bananas and buttermilk in the house at the time and thought I would try it. I love this recipe now and keep buttermilk on hand! It has been a requested recipe this winter so I am posting it here. I hope you and your family enjoy it as well.

1 stick butter (softened) 2 mashed bananas (slighly old)
1.5 cups sugar 0.5 tsp. salt
2 eggs 0.5 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 cup buttermilk 1 tsp. vanilla
1.5 tsp. baking soda 2 cups flour

Heat oven to 350 degreees F. Cream butter, sugar, eggs, bananas, and vanilla. Mix the buttermilk and soda together. Add to the sweet banana mixture. Gradually add the flour and salt. Add chopped nuts. Pour into greased and floured loaf pans. Bake for 1 hour or until the center is cooked.

1 comment:

Betsy Brock said...

I always have buttermilk on hand, too! I am looking forward to baking this soon! Thanks, Marcia! Hope you are having a good day! When's the next "inception"?? :)