Monday, March 23, 2009

60 Minute Rolls


I have made these rolls so often that some of you have had these when you've come for dinner. I had a request for this recipe so I've decided to post it here. It's only a slight change from it's posting in the KitchenAid manual that came with my mixer. Enjoy!

1/3 cup powdered milk
1.5 cups water
1/4 cup butter

Microwave these together for about 1 min. until liquids warm (about 120*F-130*F).

In your mixing bowl place
3.5 cups flour
3 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 pkg. active dry yeast (5.5 tsp)
Attach dough hook. Mix 15 sec. Gradually add warm liquids to flour mixture, about 30 sec. Mix 1 min. longer.
Mix rest of flour at 1/2 cup increments (to total 4-5 cups) until dough clings to hook and cleans sides of bowl (about 2 min). Knead for 2 min. longer.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place, free from draft, 15 min.
Turn dough into desired shapes. I divide dough in half and roll each section into a circle. I then brush on melted butter with a pastry brush, uses a pizza cutter to cut out about 12 wedges, and then roll them up. You can shape as desired. It makes about 2 dozen rolls.
Cover and let rise in slightly warm oven (90*F) for 15 min. Bake at 425*F for 12 min. or until done. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. I use the buttered pastry brush on them once again.
These are very yummy and a big favorite of our family and one of the few yeast recipes that has not failed me yet. I hope you enjoy them too!
Incidentally, my oven has a "proof" setting that I have really liked for letting the dough rise. In Florida I just put them out in our garage on top of my washing machine and achieved the same results but I don't think that will happen in Ohio! :)

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Yummm! Now all I need is the mixer.

Betsy Brock said...

I can almost smell these right now! I'll be back over soon to print this off! Thank you!

Heidi said...

You had to include the picture didn't ya!:) It's making me hungry.